- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cake flour, (not self-rising)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups finely chopped strawberries, plus small strawberries for garnish
Meringue Butter Cream Icing:
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) strawberry jam, pureed in a food processor
- In the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer set over a saucepan of simmering water, combine egg whites and sugar. Cook, whisking constantly, until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch (about 160 degrees).
- Attach the bowl to the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat the egg-white mixture on high speed until it holds stiff (but not dry) peaks. Continue beating until the mixture is fluffy and cooled, about 10 minutes.
- Switch to the paddle attachment. With mixer on medium-low speed, add butter several tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. (If frosting appears to separate after all the butter has been added, beat on medium-high speed until smooth again, 3 to 5 minutes more.) Beat in vanilla. Beat on lowest speed to eliminate any air bubbles, about 2 minutes. Stir in strawberry jam with a rubber spatula until frosting is smooth.
The source: Martha Stewart :)