Fred Meyer has this great sale going right now for pineapple that I could not pass up! We use pineapple lots of different dishes, baking, smoothies and just eating them out of the jar. At $1.00 each, this week is a great stock up price for these babies. I purchased 8 and cut only 6 for this canning recipe. It's super easy and fast compared to other canning recipes.
What you will need:
(6) fresh Pineapples
(16) Wide mouth Pint jars with lids
1/4 cup lemon juice
Canning equipment (avail at Walmart for cheap)
4 cups sugar
12 cups water
Med stock pot
Pretty simple steps here.
- Cut the top and bottom off of the pineapple then cut (as close to the rind as possible) the rind off.
- Either use a melon baller or pairing knife to cut out 'eyes' (pardon the phone picture)
- Slice pineapple in half. Half the half pineapple. Cut the hard white core from the 1/4 pineapple.
- Cut the 1/4 piece into 3 then crosswise cut into about 7-8 pieces. (save cores for syrup).
- Place the sugar, cores and water in pot. Boil for 10-15 mins. (I added about 1/4 cup lemon juice)
- Prep you jars according to canning method and recommendations.
- Directly put the pineapple in prepped jars (pack them tight). Fill to 1/2 inch line.
- Pour simple syrup into packed jars
- Wipe rim with clean wet towel
- Put lids and rings on
- Can Pints for about 25 mins, Quarts for about 35 mins.
I might dehydrate the other 2 pineapples or just freeze them for smoothies. What do you think I should do?